Re: Wisteria training & snags.... Need some help here...

Just FYI for those who aren't familiar with wisteria. It will stand up
on its own when trained as a standard. Same pruning as everything else.
Keep a main stem and remove the side limbs.

It will also pull down a tree if it's a dead tree. If it's not a dead
tree it will attach itself and you really won't have to do any training.
I've seen them grow into the tops of pine trees with trunks almost as
big as the pine. I love them, although they can be a huge nuisance.

Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:
  I grew up in a house in the Florida Panhandle that had a wisteria
screen around the corner of the porch (my grandfather called it a
veranda). The wisteria grew on a support made of lead pipes -
I guess maybe 2" pipes. I don't know how long the vine had been
there, but it was fully grown as long as I can remember. As a child
I would climb from the porch into the vine for a place to hide and
read books - much to the distress of my grandmother because
wisteria sap made stains on my clothes. I don't know which
kind of wisteria it was - beautiful fragrant lavender blooms - but
this must have been planted in the early years of the last century.
I remember that once my grandfather measured the growth of the
vine along the ground under the house (Florida houses in those
days were built up on piers with a two-or-three-foot airspace
beneath as a kind of passive air-conditioning). The vine grew
from one side of the house to the other - perhaps forty feet - in
ten days. He would have a man come every spring and do major
pruning - take off a wagon-load of growth. He said that was
necessary to make it bloom - and it must have worked, for the
bloom was heavy each year.

In a message dated 01/06/2006 8:02:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
zsanders@midsouth.rr.com writes:

>I was looking at the White Flower Farm site where they tell you never to
> remove the stake. I'm sure when trained right it would stand up under
> normal
> conditions, but what happens in weather?
> I've seen a really big wisteria, in fact they claim it is the biggest in
> the
> world, in Sierra Madre. Here's a link:
> http://www.sierramadrenews.net/wistaria.htm
> This vine did collapse a house. They let the public in to see it in bloom
> once a year. It's pretty impressive to walk underneath and it smells
> wonderful.
> Anyway what have you got to lose, plant your wisteria, train it up the
> tree
> and see what happens, even if the tree trunk falls over chances are the
> vine
> will make it and then you can decide whether to build an arbor underneath
> it. You'll be doing some pruning every year though!
> Cyndi

Andrea H
Petersburg, IL