crazy weather

I am at a loss to know what to do, this crazy weather is so strange.
Most years when we take down the Christmas tree (never got it
up this year, thanks to Chet's emergency) we cut the branches and
use them for mulch in the perennial beds.  The ground should be
frozen hard by then.  Well, we had record cold - single digits - in
early December - way too soon - followed by eight inches of snow.
So far, so good.  Now for the past two weeks the weather has been
balmy - often not below freezing even at night.  In some places
where the plow piled snow from the drive, and in heavy shade,
there is still a bit of snow, but in most places it is gone and the
ground is mushy. I don't know if it is frozen below the first few
inches or not.  I don't want to mulch if it will keep the ground
from freezing later - don't know what to do.  Any ideas?

In a message dated 01/09/2006 10:25:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,