Re: Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola'/ Species

Well, Cyndi
Now that all the cultivars and variegated forms are on the market the original species is almost forgotten, it would seem. You do not see much of it on the market now. It was my first Japanese woodland grass.. Hakonechloa macra. Wonderful form, now about four feet in diameter. Does not draw attention to itself so much as work well with others. I think this one would look great in a large container planting. No companions other than the container and the location.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

When I first saw Bonnie's message I was thinking she was talking about the
"All Gold" variety I saw in WWF's catalog. I don't really care for the color
on that one. Then after I saw your message, Gene, I went looking for the
species. I like that one almost as much as "Aureola". And maybe it will grow
faster. Decisions, decisions...there is space on either side of the
teahouse, perhaps I'll buy both and see what happens.
My psuedo Japanese garden gets watered regularly so I'm hoping that won't be
a problem. I have had trouble with a few things like hosta; could be the
high heat and low humidity that just melts them down.

Cyndi