Re: Yahoo spying

On Jan 29, 2006, at 10:40 AM, kmrsy@netzero.com wrote:

I received the message below from my sister and found that it is indeed
true. Just on the slightest chance that it could be a spoof of some
kind, I went directly to Yahoo rather than using the links provided in
the message. It was all true and I opted out.

Google is fighting the feds spying but Yahoo agreed without flinching. I'd rather not give thm any more than I have to.

-- Maureen Hawkins <hawkms@uleth.ca> wrote:

I don't know if this applies to either of you, but, if so, I thought
you might want to know.

Subject: [freecyclelethbridge] Yahoo groups spying on you
From: "kim" <lezzeeboi@yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat, January 28, 2006 11:39 am
To: "free cycle" <freecyclelethbridge@yahoogroups.com>
----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---

The following was posted to another group i belong to, just passing
it along FYI

If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now
using &quot;Web Beacons&quot; to track every Yahoo Group user. It's
similar to
cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group
you visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo.

Look at their updated privacy statement at
http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy .

About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will
see a link that says WEB BEACONS.

Click on the phrase &quot;Web Beacons.&quot; On the page that opens, find a
paragraph entitled &quot;Outside the Yahoo Network.&quot;

In that section find a little &quot;Click Here to Opt Out&quot; link that
let you &quot;opt-out&quot; of their snooping.

Be careful! NOT to click on the next button shown. It is an &quot;Opt
Back In&quot; button that, if clicked, will UNDO the opt-out.

Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to opt-
out of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That means
you will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you use.

Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain, too,
but I'm not sure if anyone is listening..

Related article:

Yahoo Web Beacons Igniting Controversy Yahoo's current privacy
policy is causing consternation among some users who object to their
use of so-called 'web beacons'. Known in most circles as web bugs,
these invisible images are embedded in websites and email and used
to track your surfing - and even tell whether you've opened a
particular email.

Freecycle and the Freecycle logo are trademarks of The Freecycle Network
in the United States and/or other countries.