RE: New year, new directions

How do you support the tomatos growing in pots along your garage wall?

Theresa

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 10:42 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] New year, new directions

One of the most successful things I have done for a number of years is to
hang 10-inch pots planted with several varieties of cherry tomatoes from
brackets on the wall of my garage - across from my kitchen window.
The exposure is southeast and they get good sun more than half the day.
Suspended at about 5 feet, they grow both up and down, and by the end
of the summer reach to garage roof and almost to the ground - a real wall
of tomatoes. Didn't do as well last summer as usual, because the first
planting got nipped by a late frost, but by the end of the season they had
about caught up.  I'll be more careful with them this year.
I also enjoy large pots of herbs in the same breezeway outside the
kitchen.  A variety of sages makes a handsome pot - Bergartten sage,
purple sage, and the tricolor one always look nice together.  The small-
leaf basil grows well in a strawberry pot, with a rosemary in the large
top opening.  But then, in Florida you can grow things like that all year,
and don't have the climate concerns we have in the Northeast.
Auralie

In a message dated 01/02/2007 11:49:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,