Re: weather

At the National Academy of Sciences building in WDC, there is an opuntia that was brought back from the top of the Andes by some scientific expedition or another. Gotta be close to perennially cold up there. I've got no idea what the species is, but one of its interesting attributes is that it is a prostrate grower, no more than about 6 inches high.