Re: weather

I've ordered Opuntia humifusa in for our MG nursery this spring.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] weather

Judy, some opuntias are winter-hardy.  I know several stands here in
the Hudson Valley, most notably a large patch that grow on a rocky
outcrop above the river.  Unlike this strange winter, most years the
temperatures are well below freezing most of the winter, and
sometimes fall below zero.  I think this species is Opuntia tuna,
but there has been some question about it.  I have seen another
species in a garden in Chincoteague, Virginia, where the temperatures
are milder than here, but still a lot of freezing weather.  These are much
larger than the local ones, but seem totally hardy.

In a message dated 01/17/2007 2:57:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,