To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2007 11:44 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] weather

Hello Everyone!

      Belated Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice, and Happy New  Year!

       I lost my inbox on Dec. 19th and took it to the shop for recovery
and I just got it back yesterday. 1669 messages in a month, not bad.

I am alive and well here in the Denver Area. Living in the foothills
outside of Denver, the first two snow storms did not come with winds like
the plains did. However, when the snow began on Dec 20th, I opted to stay at home and watch it, rather than risk going to wark and not be able to return home. By dinner time we had 12 " on the ground and 28" packed inches by the time the snow stopped on the morning of Dec 21. This was the day that Greg and I were supposed to leave for Illinois, but instead we shoveled and hoped
that the road (I-70) to Salina, KAnsas would be open by Friday morning so
that we could be on our way. Fortunately, the road was open on Friday and we
headed out. The worse roads were in town thru Denver. You would be driving
long on cleared pavement and wham...you are on packed ice and in some
people's cases off the road.
       The rest of the cross country trip was good, but we knew we were in
for an adventure by the time we headed home on Dec 29th. We opted to stay in
Salina Kansas on Sat. Dec. 30th, since the road from Russell KS only 60
miles away toward the west was already closed to Denver because of STORM 2. It was raining at 4:30 pm when we stopped and by morning there was 3 inches of snow on the ground and a blizzard in progress. Thank goodness for Sunday football. It made the extra day in the hotel a little more bareable. I will
tell you that it beatsd a Red Cross Shelter.
       Monday Morning the road to Denver was complety open and the drive
was good. A few slick and dangerous spots around Oakley ks. The ice on
everything was beautiful and thick. We arrived home about about 7 under a
full moon. And with another 28" blocking the driveway. Greg and I shoveled
for about 2 hours just to clear about 25ft of driveway so the car was off
the main road. Tuesday we cleared the rest. Such an adventure.
       The snow is still with us. The piles are slowly melting in the
region. Ugly snow now, like I remember in Gary as a child. Strange thing is
that snow usually does not hang around this long. But its been really
cold...we saw -17 at the house. This time last year it was in the 60's.

Hope everyone is dojng well and hanging in there with this crazy winter. I
hope George likes January cherry blossoms.

4" of snow since 6am and it is now 11:00am