From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 6:52 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Pears

When I was a child in Northern Florida we had a pomegranate - it was
more a big shrub than a tree.  My grandmother had a tool that looked
like a big potato-masher - a thick wooden hinged piece with a semicircle
with holes in it cut out of one side and a ball-shaped piece that fitted
into it.
That's not
a very good description, but you put the pomegranate seeds into the
hollowed part and the ball part that fitted into it squeezed the juice
out through the holes. I remember that she once served a punch made with
pomegranate juice to her church women's group, and they were horrified
because they thought she had spiked the punch.