Rain after all

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Rain after all
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:44:54 -0800

We did get our promised rain over the weekend. As we left work Friday
afternoon it started up and was coming down pretty good by the time we
got home. I darted out and made sure there wasn't anything obstructing
the rain gauge. By ten that night the wind was howling! I can't remember
ever hearing it so strong. Saturday morning it had stopped and we had
3.5 inches in the gauge, that's a respectable total. No damage from the
wind.
It did rain again, only about a tenth of an inch, on Saturday afternoon.
Mostly it was just cloudy and windy. We were lucky since the farrier was
able to come out after all. The wind started up again Saturday night, it
was really loud.
So Sunday morning I went to put the horses out and noticed we lost part
of a tree, it is at the very back corner of our property and mostly
dead. It used to be a poplar with two trunks, they branched off very low
on the tree, but one trunk broke and fell onto our neighbor's property.
Put a pretty good dent into her corral panel along the way. The trunk
had to be about 12 inches across but since most of the tree is dead I'm
not surprised it broke off.
When we went to bed last night it was raining again, and some time
towards the end it turned to snow since we had a nice little dusting of
snow/ice on everything this morning. There was another half inch or so
in the rain gauge.
Today of course it is clear and sunny. Why not, it's Monday, although it
is still pretty breezy and quite cold out.

Cyndi