Re: Why is it?

Yeh..not as much organic matter where I live now. Lots of hard dirt and
rocks. And clay in some areas. I have amended the gardens a LOT, but
they still have a ways to go. Now that my chicken population has grown,
I use a lot of their waste to mix in with the mulch. The llama pellets
are AWESOME...but I just don't get out there and muck the barns as much
as I should. (Bad farmer) I will say this for my chickens though...they
are walking composters. They eat all the scraps from my kitchen (potato
peelings, vegetable and fruit left overs, bread that has gone bad....)
and then I just clean out their little chicken house 3 times a month and
pour that into my mulch/compost pile. Cool. And...I have GREAT tasting,
farm fresh eggs.

  Soil fertility? Percent of organic matter? That's often what makes
thumbs green.

On Jan 18, 2008, at 2:12 PM, Jesse Bell wrote:

> You know how Andy Rooney starts out his program with asking..."Why is
> it that....."
> Well, WHY IS IT that every time somebody tells me "ohh be careful, this
> plant is a self-seeder and will take over your garden", I can barely
> get
> the thing to grow. (A few examples - Cleome, black-eyed susan,
> yarrow...) In some areas I WANT the plant to take over and just go
> nuts.
> And I'm doing good to get one stinking flower the next year. Well -
> this
> spring I am starting MORE from seed, in my garage with a grow light,
> and
> maybe I'll get more of them next year. The only place I have ever been
> able to really, really GROW things...was in Kansas City. I could put a
> stick in the ground and it would grow. I grew the BEST tomatoes there.
> Haven't been able to grow them since. Tooey.
Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10