Re: More Food for Thought

My grandmother was very patient, but she cooked with a little of this or that (until it looked right), scooping flour with a metal scoop, sugar in an old teacup, and using her fingers for a pinch or so of salt. One day my sister and I followed her around with a measuring cup and spoons, catching it just as it was about to be dumped into the bowl. We finally got some of her recipes!

I mostly cook with the "until it looks/tastes" right method, but I'm so very glad we have her "Grandma Cookies" recipe. Of course my kitchen isn't usually cold enough for them to come out the same, but the taste is there.

On the bread crust front - My Dad always says that the extra browning converts the starches to sugars. I can't taste it myself, so I give the bread crusts to the dog or the chickens - unless it's home-made bread. Then Nobody's getting it except the humans.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 5:48 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] More Food for Thought

Re >I love potato bread, got a recipe you would like to share?

My grandmother came from Ireland and of course used her own recipe from there. Ma never had a lot of patience with older kids, so it was difficult to get her to share the recipe, which of course was in her head. She did try to explain it once, but when she said to add flour and I asked how much, the reply was "until it looks right." I asked what looked right and she dismissed that and moved on. Then you were supposed to add a bit of salt or some such ingredient. How much is a bit? She gave up.

Years later I found a recipe for Irish soda bread. Ma's wasn't a soda bread; she used yeast. But I tried it anyway and the consistency wasn't far off, though it didn't have the flavor. So I played with the recipe, adding potato water and raisins. That meant more flour. It took more time to bake. It was a bit dry; needed more shortening to balance the other extra ingredients. Now the dough was too large, had to split it in half. But I eventually got it pretty darned close. My family adores it.

Unfortunately, my recipe is now too much like Ma's. You have to add ingredients "until it looks right." Still want the recipe?