Re: Hello out there

I'm very happy to see some sun during these gloomy days, too. I read to escape the lack of light & keep very bright lights on in the house. It is so much easier to get up & going when it's sunny out. I still go to work in the dark, but at least the days are long enough now I might get a bit of sun at the end of the day. Ed started pruning the grapes, but it's really to cold to be outside much. I've been knitting, too & have done a few lace things. Thank goodness it's not a good warm weather craft or my yard will suffer! ----- Original Message ----- From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 6:56 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hello out there

Just about.  It's not been above freezing for a week, and down into
the teens at night - one night at 04 degrees.  At least it was sunny
today and promises to be sunny tomorrow.  I find the gloomy
weather we have had so much of this year to be terribly depressing.
We had a couple of inches of snow followed by rain - week ago - which
formed an inch-thick crust, followed by another inch of snow.  A couple
of light snows since then makes it pretty treacherous anywhere off the
beaten, salted and sanded paths.  I'm trying to think about my spring
garden, but the deer damage this winter has been so great that I don't
really know where to start. It's as depressing as the gloomy days.
On the positive side I noticed that one of the goldfinches at the feeder
this morning was showing some yellow feathers - that's a real sign of
spring.  I just love when they begin to turn golden again. And we have
passed the winter solstice.  It's hard to tell, but days are just a few
minutes longer than a couple of weeks ago.  If winter comes....

In a message dated 1/21/2009 6:08:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,