Re: OT - Bird question
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: OT - Bird question
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 17:52:05 -0500

Do you have a local Audubon Society, nature center or Wild Bird (or other bird feeder) store? If so, I ask there, rather than on-line. Some anonymous birders are boors. Some bird lists are really nice, others are really snooty. I belong to the former, but know about some of the others.

Of course, you can tell the snots that you have " practically every birding guide in print (and some old ones that are no longer in print) and had exhausted my references," . That will help with credibility and would probably get someone interested, especially if you can tell them how your bird differs (brown instead of white chest, etc.

If you can get a picture, even if it's not very good, it's a plus. If you have something "normal" but just with unusual coloration, the photo can help them ID it. If you have something unusual, it can help qualify for a new state record. Then you can really show off. :-)