Re: Re: Are you all snowbound?
  • Subject: Re: Re: Are you all snowbound?
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:03:23 -0500

The mayor claims 10 snowplows, but the city is large and very hilly. It also
has a lot of flying ramps and roads. DeKalb County, which includes part of
Atlanta (much of Atlanta is in Fulton County) has 2000 miles of roads and 2
plows and only 10 sand/salt trucks.

Our county has 2 plows, a few road graders and no "official" sand/salt
trucks. When we first moved here, most of the sand/salt spreading was done
by convicts standing on the back of dump trucks with shovels. Now, they use
more county workers, but there still aren't enough.

Normally, snow would fall on warm roads and be gone in a day, maybe 2. Much
of the time, it will just be an inch or two and it will be gone by 10 AM .
Our last blizzard was in March of '93, when it had been in the 80's for at
least a week, maybe 2. If it hadn't been for the deep freeze (8 degrees)
that followed, the foot of snow would have been gone in a few days.

The last time we had any really serious cold  for a prolonged period was in
the 80's, when we regularly had pretty heavy snows (for this area - 6" or
so) , almost always got below zero for several days, and once got to minus
16 here. That was the decade that made me wish I had moved further south. I
couldn't believe I had moved 800 miles south and the weather was as bad as
it was in the NY/NJ area!

I grew up in the Midwest, and my grandparent's farm was in Wisconsin, so I
wasn't prepared for a state to shut down as thoroughly as things do here.
However, I learned to be prepared as a kid (we lived 10 miles from town), so
that part wasn't a big adjustment. It was for a lot of people who didn't heed and
prepare. There have been reports on the news of 911 calls for people
requesting food.

I feel very sorry for those that are living paycheck to paycheck and can't
get to work, or whose jobs aren't open because of the ice.  They've been
living next to the edge, and this may push them over. They can't even get to
the food banks, and I can't get to church to pick up the donations to take
it to the food bank.  I just hope that the food bank still had enough in
stock from the holidays. Donations go way up then.  One good thing is that
the Hispanic workers that normally go home for Christmas haven't yet
returned for planting and such.

----- Original Message ----- From: <mhobertmellecker@gmail.com>