Re: A taste of spring
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: A taste of spring
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:38:39 -0500

Auralie,

It was that kind of weather that got me headed south. We had a couple of weeks of the miseries - very cold (a week below freezing) and light snow a couple of times in December, and the first white Christmas, and Ice Jam a couple of weeks ago. That used to be normal for the 80's and early 90's, then it was much warmer in the last couple of decades.

I remember before we moved and I'd talk to my Mom on the phone. (Dad was transferred to the Atlanta area in 1975). She'd announce that all of the neighbors were on their deck watching the New Year's Eve fireworks that another neighbor shot - and she was only wearing a sweater. At midnight! Five years of listening to that sort of thing, and frozen pipes at Christmas, and the then-record for snowfall had us house-hunting down south. 30 years later, I have no regrets.