more crazy weather
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: more crazy weather
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:48:03 -0500 (EST)

What a see-saw season.  After our October snow storm, it has been
mostly pretty mild and very wet - often not even freezing at night.  A
couple of times it has dropped down to the lower 20s for a couple of
days, but then warmed back up.  Last week we observed that our
pond had not frozen,and we always expected to boys to have
skating parties there during the holidays.  On Wednesday the
ground was not even frozen, but I reluctantly finished cutting back
the perennials, some of which were still green.  Yesterday morning
the temperature was 19 degrees, and this morning it was 7 degrees.
We had such cold weather last year, but things came through very
well because there was a heavy snow cover from early December
right through until March.  This year the ground is quite open.  Not
a flake of snow since October.  I'm really worried about how my
plants will survive.  Snow can complicate life at times but it does
have a purpose other than just to be skiied on. My son in Colorado
is complaining that though Denver has snow, there was none at
Winter Park where they have bought a ski condo.  Oh well.  Poor
baby.

Auralie