RE: more crazy weather
  • Subject: RE: more crazy weather
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:07:58 -0800

We are certainly not getting any water here in my bit of the desert. So
you're thinking, desert, duh, of course there's no water - but normally we
would have had a few inches by now and so far there's nothing. Temperatures
have been a bit warmer than usual, although not bizarrely so, and we don't
seem to have had as much wind either. All the moisture is getting stopped
way up north due to the La Nina effect.

And Tricia...please take this with the utmost respect... there are seven
BILLION people on this earth now, all of them eating, drinking, breathing
and excreting - to believe we can have no impact is wishful thinking. Have
you never seen smog? It cannot be such a leap from looking at the filthy air
over Los Angeles, Houston, or Beijing to realize there are engines all over
the world, and that stuff goes somewhere. I am sure the people who shot
passenger pigeons believed that their actions could not affect such a huge
part of God's creation - after all, there were billions of them. The
fishermen who caught tons of Atlantic cod could not believe such bounty
would run out. Nonetheless the pigeons are extinct and the cod fishery is
gone. Just in my childhood, the citrus orchards of the San Fernando Valley
and the Inland Empire were replaced by strip malls and housing tracts. The
desert where I live now is being scraped up and more houses built (okay, not
just at the moment, but it will resume). People need to live somewhere and I
benefit from technology too - but I see the impact locally. I cannot talk
myself into believing there is no impact globally.