Re: Cold
  • Subject: Re: Cold
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 15:54:18 -0500 (EST)

Cyndi, Your cold weather has come all the way across the continent to us
this week.  Until this week we have had a very mild winter - some
nights not even freezing, and only a few in the lower 20s.  But wham!
this week we haven't been above freezing since Monday, and nights
have been in the single digits.What worries me about it is that there
is no snow cover.  There war about three inches week before last but
that had pretty much melted.  The previous several less severe winters
have spoiled us.  Two years ago we had cold but there was a good
snow cover and things came through very well.  I am afraid I will lose
a bunch of my marginally hardy plants that have survived for several
years now.  I don't expect Artemisia 'Powis Castle' will pull through,
or my Ruta graveolens.  I have lost both in previous cold winters, but
the ones I have now are three years old.  I just ordered more 'Powis
Castle' from Bluestone to take advantage of their 15% off for early
In a message dated 1/17/2013 12:45:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,