Re: ponds/code-fences

>    Kitty, are fences common in your area? <<

I'm in the city - not near the center; our subdivision was just annexed
a few years ago - and lots are generally less than 1/4 acre. Being a
family neighborhood and with people so close to each other, backyard
fences are the norm.  Keeps kids and pets confined; may provide privacy
depending on fencing material. Often the cost of the fence is shared by
adjoining neighbors. Large properties - as I believe yours is - aren't
always practical to fence; too costly.  My yard was originally chain-
link fenced, 4 ft high around the perimeter right up to, but not
including, the front public sidewalk.  Which more or less said, "This
is mine.", but didn't close access to anything. Really looked dumb.  So
I removed the fence on the south side side all the way to the rear of
the house and on the north side to the front of the house ( because
that neighbor's perpendicular privacy fence started at that point).
Later I added privacy fence along the north side.   Meanwhile new
neighbors to the west errected a privacy fence, so I removed the chain
link back there as it seemed redundant, although there is about 6-8
feet of easement between us.  Previously I had grown dependent on their
massive conifers as a borrowed background.  When they limbed it all up
and put in the fence, I had to work on creating a living fence back
there, for aesthetic reasons as well as to keep the kids who travel the
easement from using my yard as a shortcut.

Well, that was a lot more than you wanted to know.  But thinking more
about it, newer subdivisions, depending on location, price, lot size,
may/may notinstall fencing right away.  Also, front yards are very
rarely fenced, old or new construction.