Re: fungus amongus

Well, Kitty, they are a wood rot type fungus, but just removing the
fingers only removes the fruiting bodies - the  mycelium are already
embedded in whatever it is they're feeding on.  I would imagine, in
your case, it's that cherry if it has visible decay.  If you can see
decay in wood, be assured there's more that you can't see.  Fungus
spore are everywhere - all around, except maybe in 'clean rooms'.  If
you destroy the fruiting bodies before they release spore, you're
reducing the amount out there by some minute fraction:-).

We think of fungi as harming something, but really, they're just an
indication that there's already some reason for them to be there.
One of the functions of the wood rot fungi is to clean up dead wood -
and they do this over time.

If it were my tree, I'd keep an eye on it; sounds like it may have to
come down one of these days if it has decay at the base that you can
see.  Maybe not today nor tomorrow but one of these days, before it
falls down.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :