From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Jesse Bell
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 9:09 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Skunks/raccoons

O.K., my "two cents" worth.  Raccoons are scavengers and junk-food
I mean there is very little they won't eat.  As a licensed rehaber I can

tell you that a momma and her babies will find food..even if it's bugs.

When we rehab them, we are supposed to feed them what they would eat in
wild...if that is not available (live mice or vermin) then we do the
best thing.  Our raccoon (which is a pet and we've had since her eyes
not even opened and we bottle fed her) loves crawfish, grapes, peanut
butter, dog food, cat food, raisins...and if you have a sucker in your
mouth...she'll grab it and run.  They love raw eggs (that's why farmers
them, they raid the henhouse).  So, I will tell you that if you feed
be prepared to have them hang around for awhile.  We just released some
skunks that we found in our pastures (the mother was killed by coyotes).

After watching them closely for a few days for any injuries, we put them

outside in a pen with cat food and water and a tiny "dog-loo" (dog
After two weeks, they dug under the fence and left.  They prefer bugs
frogs and icky things.  But they were too young to fend for themselves
we got them.  Yes, skunks and raccoons carry mites, fleas, ticks and
rabies...sometimes distemper so you really need to be careful. (However,
you've EVER seen an animal, first hand, that has rabies...you know
immediately that they are not normal...we had to shoot a coyote in our
that was rabid).   Our raccoon gets her yearly shots.  But I'm like
can't turn them away.  But we have SO MANY animals and food dishes
around...they are bound to find a treat somewhere...and we have two
ponds so
the raccoons hang out down there cause they like to "wash" their food.
have no saliva so that is why they wet their food down if they can.  If
have any other questions, just ask.

Jesse Rene' Bell
Claremore, OK
Zone 6