Re: Texas Storm

Hi Donna.... thanks for thinking of us.  We sure were braced for the worst,
especially after TS Allison a couple years back that dumped 43 inches of rain
on Houston, flooding 75% of Houston for weeks.  AND TS Claudette in 1979 which
did the same.  So we were all a bit on edge.

The storm's eye came on shore half way between Corpus and Houston, putting us
on the dirty side, here in the west.  The eye hit Matagorda Bay which is just
south of me, my dh goes fishing there all the time, had just been there the
previous week. We had strong winds, and lots of steady rain, but thank
there was no severe "inland" weather with this storm due to the sheering from
a High.  Otherwise we would have really gotten it badly.  The Coast from
Louisianna down to Corpus really got hammered though, LOTS of damage down
and more flooding than they expected unfortunately.....even Galveston,
etc. Kemah board walk, etc. got flooded very badly.  THey didn't expect that
storm surge, or flooding it seems, so was a shock to most.  Governor declared
coastal counties, including mine in a state of emergency, disaster areas, or
whatever the "official" term is.

The next day we got more feeder bands with thunderstorms though badly,
dumping 6 inches of rain in a couple hours on us in addition to the 5 we had
the day
before.  My county and subdivision got flooded, had water at the back door,
but was able to contain it with towels, etc.  Either way we were lucky.
Suffered some roof damage, broken limbs, but nothing serious.  Rescued some
fish and
put them back in the pond, probably lost some of the smaller ones, but can't
rescue them all unfortunately.  All in all we were lucky.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast