From: "Betsy Kelson" <bkelson@ix.netcom.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Beetles and Books
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:34:36 -0600

Ceres,
Those Bambis can be a pain in the plants, can't they? Today, I had a
small group of elk spend the day in the back yard. About seven cows and 5
calves between them.
I caught one calf standing on the middle of my 4x4 raised bed. I
spoke sharply to him and his mother from the deck and they finally moved
away. I did not dare approach the young one because the mothers are very
protective and will charge.
I have tried to protect this new garden. One day, I found all the
plants flattened under their Wall 'o' Waters because an elk stumbled through
the bed. Another day, the green garden netting used to protect the bed was
caught on a bush about 50 feet away where something had finally untangled
itself from it. I stopped using the net because I was afraid that a calf
would get entangled and not be able to free itself. So today the beasts ate
my brocolli, pepper, and a Walla Walla onion before I could speak sharply to
her again. The Cute Vermin!!!

Betsy
Evergreen CO
Sunny high 80's