From: "Donna " <justme@prairieinet.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Subject: [CHAT] how to get rid of a tree?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:43:26 -0500

I would like to get rid of a tree. I have been trying for 4 years, but
it is still there :( Looking for hints and suggestions of accomplishing
this.

Year one, I tried to dig it out... dug a five ft hole, thought I got it
all... came back year two.

Year two, tried round up in the spring. Although the leaves died off and
I chopped it back to ground level in the fall.. came back year three

Year three, attempted to keep trimmed so no leaf/branch was on it for
more than a few hours, once again chopping it to ground level in the
fall thinking it was dead.... came back year four

Year four... gave up, thought if you want to live that bad, ok.... it is
already 5 ft high- Yipes!

I think it is an Ailanthus altissima, but might not be.... Since this is
the first year I let it grow, have no idea if gets a fruit or berry or
flower or fall colors or anything.... what you see in the photo's is all
I know...

Here are a few pictures:
http://illianagardenpond.org/tree1.jpg

http://illianagardenpond.org/treeleaf.jpg

So... am I right on the species? Maybe it is a pecan or smooth sumac? I
am not waiting another year to figure it out...it has to go---How do I
kill it? I noticed one popped up in another area about 40 ft away...
need to get this under control...now! Bad enough I have one of these...
now I have two!

Donna
Where it is raining once again :(