OT-What July Fourth Means to Me- Long!

This was posted on another list... Thought some might want to read

What July Fourth Means to Me
By Ronald Reagan

For one who was born and grew up in the small towns of the Midwest,
there is a special kind of nostalgia about the Fourth of July.

I remember it as a day almost as long-anticipated as Christmas. This was
helped along by the appearance in store windows of all kinds of
fireworks and colorful posters advertising them with vivid pictures.

No later than the third of July -- sometimes earlier -- Dad would bring
home what he felt he could afford to see go up in smoke and flame. We'd
count and recount the number of firecrackers, display pieces and other
things and go to bed determined to be up with the sun so as to offer the
first, thunderous notice of the Fourth of July.

I'm afraid we didn't give too much thought to the meaning of the day.
And, yes, there were tragic accidents to mar it, resulting from careless
handling of the fireworks. I'm sure we're better off today with
fireworks largely handled by professionals.

Yet there was a thrill never to be forgotten in seeing a tin can blown
30 feet in the air by a giant "cracker" -- giant meaning it was about 4
inches long. But enough of nostalgia.

Somewhere in our growing up we began to be aware of the meaning of days
and with that awareness came the birth of patriotism. July Fourth is the
birthday of our nation. I believed as a boy, and believe even more
today, that it is the birthday of the greatest nation on earth.

There is a legend about the day of our nation's birth in the little hall
in Philadelphia, a day on which debate had raged for hours. The men
gathered there were honorable men hard-pressed by a king who had flouted
the very laws they were willing to obey. Even so, to sign the
Declaration of Independence was such an irretrievable act that the walls
resounded with the words "treason, the gallows, the headsman's axe," and
the issue remained in doubt.

The legend says that at that point a man rose and spoke. He is described
as not a young man, but one who had to summon all his energy for an
impassioned plea. He cited the grievances that had brought them to this
moment and finally, his voice falling, he said, "They may turn every
tree into a gallows, every hole into a grave, and yet the words of that
parchment can never die.

To the mechanic in the workshop, they will speak hope; to the slave in
the mines, freedom. Sign that parchment. Sign if the next moment the
noose is around your neck, for that parchment will be the textbook of
freedom, the Bible of the rights of man forever."

He fell back exhausted. The 56 delegates, swept up by his eloquence,
rushed forward and signed that document destined to be as immortal as a
work of man can be. When they turned to thank him for his timely
oratory, he was not to be found, nor could any be found who knew who he
was or how he had come in or gone out through the locked and guarded

Well, that is the legend. But we do know for certain that 56 men, a
little band so unique we have never seen their like since, had pledged
their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor. Some gave their
lives in the war that followed, most gave their fortunes, and all
preserved their sacred honor.

What manner of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists,
eleven were merchants and tradesmen, and nine were farmers. They were
soft-spoken men of means and education; they were not an unwashed
rabble. They had achieved security but valued freedom more. Their
stories have not been told nearly enough.

John Hart was driven from the side of his desperately ill wife. For more
than a year he lived in the forest and in caves before he returned to
find his wife dead, his children vanished, his property destroyed. He
died of exhaustion and a broken heart.

Carter Braxton of Virginia lost all his ships, sold his home to pay his
debts, and died in rags. And so it was with Ellery, Clymer, Hall,
Walton, Gwinnett, Rutledge, Morris, Livingston and Middleton. Nelson
personally urged Washington to fire on his home and destroy it when it
became the headq uarters for General Cornwallis. Nelson died bankrupt.

But they sired a nation that grew from sea to shining sea. Five million
farms, quiet villages, cities that never sleep, three million square
miles of forest, field, mountain and desert, 227 million people with a
pedigree that includes the bloodlines of all the world. In recent years,
however, I've come to think of that day as more than just the birthday
of a nation.

It also commemorates the only true philosophical revolution in all

Oh, there have been revolutions before and since ours. But those
revolutions simply exchanged one set of rules for another. Ours was a
revolution that changed the very concept of government.

Let the Fourth of July always be a reminder that here in this land, for
the first time, it was decided that man is born with certain God-given
rights; that government is only a convenience created and managed by the
people, with no powers of its own except those voluntarily granted to it
by the people.

We sometimes forget that great truth, and we never should. Happy Fourth
of July.

-- Ronald Reagan, President of the United States (1981)