Re: self-sowers NOW Volunteerism

In a message dated 7/5/2004 9:02:03 AM Central Standard Time,
kmrsy@comcast.net writes:
think people should not commit to a group or project unless they have the
time and intention to do it properly.

Kitty,  you are so right about that!  Those who sign up for too much are just
as bad as those people who never involve anybody else in their projects.
When I was president of our local garden club I appointed committee chairmen to
coordinate efforts meant to involve everybody in the club.  The park chairman,
a former club president, never scheduled any work days, and did the work
herself with the help of her close, personal friends.  As a result many members
lost interest because they felt it was her project and not that of the club.  The
horticulturist at the experiment station just sends out requests for MG help,
and we reply directly to him about when we can help.  That has worked out
great for me.  I would rather drive 50 miles one way to help somebody who
appreciates my donated time than to walk one block to our town park only to be made
to feel like an outsider.

zone 7
West TN