This weekend...

started with breakfast in a new restaurant [not bad], followed by a couple of hours at the beach, soaking--actually floating with help from one of those plastic "noodles"--in that 85-degree Gulf water, then we made the final lychee run of the season down to Pine Island. This time we got "Emperor" lychees, which are bigger than any I've seen before, golf ball size, and with excellent juiciness and flavor. Also went to a small nursery on Pine Island and picked up three plants, an angel-wing type begonia, a variegated alocacia or colocasia [I never know which is which], and a plant that I have no idea what it is but Ms. Fatma was smitten by it.

The begonia is a bit leggy, so I'm going to cut it down and root the cuttings. Interesting leaves, this one, very dark green splatter painted with pink.

Today is the International Mango Festival at Fairchild Tropical Garden in Coral Gables [Florida east coast]. Today is also the Mango Festival in Cape Coral [Florida west coast]. We didn't go to either, although we drove by the Cape Coral one on the way home. Looked like they had a nice crowd, maybe 200 cars in the parking area and tasting and nursery tents everywhere.

We've got five ripe ready-to-eat mangos in the house now [one reason we didn't go to the festival] and four more that I'll pick as soon as it cools off a bit--if not this evening, first thing in the AM. So I think I'm going to make a mango cobbler. The five ready-to-eat ones ought to be enough fruit. Just the idea of a mango cobbler strikes me as Auntie Em Goes to Tahiti.

Island Jim Southwest Florida 27.0 N, 82.4 Zone 10a Minimum 30 F [-1 C]