I have done real leaf cuttings of begonias in the past. The best way to do those, I've found, is to flatten the leaf on the vermiculite and pin each of the ribs in the leaf down firmly [it's the last remaining use for hair pins, I think], then slit the leaf tissue between the ribs.

I always use RooTone, not because I believe it works, especially, but because it contains a fungicide. I think that's a necessary precaution with misted beds.

The green leaves in the same cutting box, incidentally, are rubber vine [Cryptostegia grandiflora] cuttings, which are turning out to be not so easy to root.

On Monday, July 12, 2004, at 10:22 AM, Kitty wrote:

The begonia is wonderful, and interesting how you root things. Appears
you do not do it individually potted? How deep is that bed?
Jim is a wiz at propagation and since he can do it year round, it makes
sense to have an installed propagation bed. Here I have to do temporary,
makeshift things, so containerized propagation makes more sense.
Nice pics, Jim. I've been meaning to prop some begonia leaf cuttings, but I
was going to do it with parts of leaves. How were yours done?

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donna" <justme@prairieinet.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2004 11:03 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Jim's new picture links

For your viewing pleasures, Island Jim has sent over three of his new
plants pictures. You can find them here:

http://simplymyworld.com/jimphotos.htm

They are the first three entries on the page, also dated 7-11-04.

Love the variegated taro... looks like a keeper, too bad not hardy here.

The begonia is wonderful, and interesting how you root things. Appears
you do not do it individually potted? How deep is that bed?

Is that ginger variegated on the leaf tips? Suppose that's not hardy
here either:(

Donna

http://www.hort.net/funds/

Island Jim