Re: Jim's new picture links

This reminds me--did anyone else hear the report on NPR about the effects of smoke on seed germination? Work was done in Perth and published, I think, in "Science." Forever people have thought that some seeds [think, bristlecone pine, here] had to be subjected to fire before they would germinate. Turns out not to be true. It's a constituent of smoke, not heat, that pulls the trigger. Anyway the Aussies identified it. They found that all seeds--lettuce, carrots, tomatoes--germinate better when treated with "smoke water." You can probably get a transcript of the story/interview at www.npr.org.

Oh, yeah. And what the constituent of smoke does is activate dormant gibberilic [sp?] acid crystals in the seed, so it even brings to life very old seeds.