From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Jesse Bell
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 5:45 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Philosophical? gardening question

Jim...ya kill me...

Jess

james singer <jsinger@igc.org> wrote:
When I was a paperboy, the Los Angeles Daily News had a humor columnist
named Matt Winestock. Maybe it was Weinstock. Anyway, he was LA's
answer to San Francisco's Herb Caen, only not quite as witty.

One of Winestonck's on-going themes was the "law of the perversity of
inanimate matter"--why toast always falls butter-side down, and such.

I'm educated enough to know that plants are not "inanimate matter" but
experienced enough to suspect they follow the same law--as do a
majority of my ex-wives, children, and in-laws.

Thank you for your time in listening to this.

On Wednesday, July 14, 2004, at 04:31 PM, Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:

> As I was weeding today I tried to figure out why it is that the grass
> grows
> better
> in my flower beds than in the so-called lawn, but the flowers
> continually try
> climb out of the beds and grow in the lawn and driveway. I must be
> doing
> something
> wrong.
> Auralie