Re: Daylilies

Why don't you tell them you want to write a garden column for them? No, no. Why don't you tell them you want to be their garden editor for them--includes a weekly column and writing and/or selecting pertinent features for a Saturday edition.

On Tuesday, July 20, 2004, at 08:14 PM, Kitty wrote:

Well, it cleared my spell check. Oh well, it's not a big thing, but it just
sort of ticked me off becuase there are virtually no garden articles in the
paper, though we do get a bridge tip every single day. When we do get one,
it is often flawed or doesn't pertain to our area.
I guess sometimes it doesn't take much to set me off.

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 3:50 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Daylilies

I think the problem here may be spell check programs, like the one on
my email. It didn't like daylilies until I told it to.

On Tuesday, July 20, 2004, at 03:20 PM, Kitty wrote:

Chris,

Daylily people capitalize cultivar names.

Daylily people can use them and it may be correct within various Hem
societies, but taxonomically it's not correct. But it brings me to a
qstn:
Do Daylily people ever, or often, use Day Lily - 2 words? There was an
article in the local paper in which the writer visited "Millers Day
Lily
Farm" and he used day lily throughout the entire article. I checked
every
*botanical* resource I have from several different countries and
published
during different decades and found NO reference to Day Lily. Some
(but not
all) ordinary language dictionaries may include the 2 word version,
but in
all gardening and horticultural scenarios it is Daylily.

Can you shed some light on that?

Kitty