Re: Slugger pic

In a message dated 07/21/2004 4:04:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cathyc@rnet.com writes:
That was my understanding. As an aside, that color pattern is almost
exclusively female, like calico. Orange cats are almost always male.
(Tidbits from my unlimited store of useless information.)

My understanding of feline genetics is that orange female cats (the Cat Fancy
them "red") can only produce orange male kittens and tortie or calico
females, but
it takes both orange parents to produce a female orange kitten.  A
tri-colored male
cat is a great rarity and often sterile. I once had an orange female who had
17 kittens
(in four different litters) before we could get her spayed (she had been
abused before
we got her and was so scary we were afraid she would never recover if we took
off to be spayed.) All of her male kittens were beautiful reds though we knew
mate had been a grey tabby. All of the females were  torties. Clover was an
cat, and finally became somewhat tame, but was never a comfortable lap cat.
favorite memory of her is of the time when someone had brought us a small male
kitten - she was still under a year old then - and she chased him into a
corner and
began to scratch on the floor to cover him up.