Re: today

Back in the 80's, we visited my brother (assigned to the Embassy in Singapore). This is just above the equator, surrounded by water on 3 sides, and had humidity that made you think you'd have to sprout gills to survive. Despite its development, it was very much a third world country. My brother had an apartment in a "diplomatic complex" but there was not enough electricity to run any more than one major appliance at a time. Therefore, no AC was run during the day (cooking and cleaning took precedence). We found that the critical element was AC at night - if you could sleep comfortably, the other stuff didn't matter (much).
Cathy