Re: Pet chicken and...turkeys

She did it two or three times, Marge. Then she learned if she just walked over to the bed, one of us would pick her up.

On Friday, July 23, 2004, at 12:25 AM, Marge Talt wrote:

What a total hoot!  Question....did she only do this once or was it a
regular item?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :

From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>

When I had the sheep farm, I also raised turkeys for 3 or 4 years.
About year 2, I decided to keep a large male and a female--Tom and
Theodora. Tom quickly tamed, and for the next three years, I lugged
to kindergarten classes in the area to let the little kids get to
and touch him. He weighed at least 40 pounds, and I used to tuck
under my arm to carry him kinda on my hip. I also let him ride in
passenger seat of my pickup--which caused a few double takes from

Tom and Theodora only produced one egg that I ever found, and
had any interest in brooding, so I put the egg in an incubator we
for hen's eggs. We kept the incubator kept in our spare bedroom.
it hatched. And so my [second] wife and I decided to raise it. It
was a
hen and we named her "Turkey Girl." After awhile, she had pretty
free rein in the house and seemed to generally understand that
newspapers, not linoleum, were poop places--no one's prefect, but
was right more often than not.

Anyway, what I wanted to say about Turkey Girl is that as she
she also decided she wanted to sleep with us. Now, remember, I said
floor was linoleum. So Turkey Girl would start at the door and run
bore toward our bed. Of course, she was getting only minimal
so it took a few seconds for forward movement to kick in.

And then, suddenly she was moving like the wind, her wings spread,
juvenile feathers fluttering, and her feet came off the floor, and
soared head first--into the side of the mattress about 3 inches
the surface of the bed.

We picked her up, put her on the bed, and soothed her dignity. But
also laughed all night.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4