Re: sweet autumn clematis

Donna, SAC can, indeed, grow 30' in a season once established...they
always die back and need cutting back to about the 2nd set of buds
from the ground just before bud break in spring - that's early March
for me; may be later for you.

You can dig them easily about that same early spring time -  like
just after the ground thaws enough to get in there and dig - they
won't mind a bit.  They develop substantial root balls, but you
shouldn't have any problems with one that's only been in the ground 2

I am not sure your trellis would hold a full grown SAC, really;
might, but there's major weight and unless you sink that baby a
couple feet into the ground and the metal is at least 1/2" diameter,
you might have an interesting mess after a really high wind.

The 8' height is fine - they will just double back and arch out when
they reach the top of whatever they grow on; it's the sturdiness I
wonder about.  I grow mine mostly up trees and other shrubs but do
have some climbing the back deck rail - fastened that green plastic
garden fencing to the deck rail and the ground; they love to climb
that.  It's only about 6 or 7 feet from the ground to the top of the
rail at that point and the climb up to the rail and fall over it and
then double back on themselves...no problem with that.

I have 2 plants that put themselves in the gravel drive.  One keeps
trying to climb my Chamaecyparis and I won't let it; keep pulling it
off and throwing it over on the Pachysandra.  The other just makes a
pool in the gravel - so they grow fine on the ground as well, tho'
they really want to climb.

Did I remember a fence in the background of your photo of that area
you were trying to figure out what to put in?  If I did, why don't
you let it grow up that?  Also think you had a section of chain link
fence you didn't like?  They would love to grow up that as well;
would cover it in a season and then some; SAC loves to climb any kind
of mesh.  By the time it got really hot and the wire got hot, they'd
have hit the top and would shade the wire so it didn't burn the

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :