Re: Source for ground pine

Auralie,
Thanks for passing the information along on this meadow rue. Sounds like something I want to try for my garden, possibly the nursery later on. If I am familiar with this species it is not ringing a bell now.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

Kitty, I have been meaning for several days to ask if you know this
plant or have it in your woodland garden. Thalictrum dioicum or early
meadowrue?
I have a bed of it in a difficult dry, shady spot at the foot of a large rock
outcrop where not much else likes to grow. The flowers are not much
but it makes a nice, lush mass of green. The deer don't eat it, and
it doesn't brown out in late summer like the ferns do. Not spectacular
but a most satisfactory plant for my purposes. The following is an
excerpt from a piece in my club's newsletter recently.

There is one native woodland plant that will grow in drier situations than
ferns, seems totally deer-resistant, and to the casual eye looks like a lush
bed
of maiden-hair fern. b Thalictrum dioicum or early meadowrue. This plant is
available from many specialty nurseries, but is not commonly pushed by
mainline plant sources. Perhaps this is because the blossoms are not
significant. It
bs a shame that they are missing the opportunity, for the plant answers many
of the needs of dry, shade gardens.
One website gives this description: This is a small herb, about a foot
high, with alternate, tri-ternately compound, finely divided leaves, and small
round crenate leaflets. The flowers appear early in spring, are inconspicuous,
without petals, and the male and female are on different plants. The male
plant,
with numerous slender hanging stamens, is most likely to attract attention.
The name, Meadow Rue, is derived from the finely divided, rue-shaped leaves,
and has no reference to its medical properties.

The genus Thalictrum, member of the Ranunculaceae, or Buttercup family,
has about 100 species around the world, but only two are listed as native to
North America. Several taller, more showy species and varieties are offered
in
the trade b most blooming in the summer. Perhaps itbs the early spring
bloom
that makes this one be less popular, for the plant itself is as attractive as
any of them.