Re: Maddy's > plant types

Loved the photos.  That Quatro-Iris is amazing!
About the white flower, I'm not able to tell from the pic except that
the leaves do look something like a potentilla, Cinquefoil. I bring this
up because, you wrote "It is not shrubby." I bought a flat of Potentilla
thurberi 'Monarch's Velvet' for our nursery. When we potted it, an MG
looked at the tag and said, "This is going to be a shrub?". I replied,
"no, it's a perennial and will have red flowers." She seemed very
puzzled. A lot of people seem to get it into their heads that the type
of plant with which they are most familiar in a genus dictates that all
plants in that genus are that type. There are perennial Dogwoods.
Clematis has vines and shrubs. Iris have bulbous, rhizomatous, and
rooted types. Hydrangeas have vines and shrubs. And Hibiscus (as a kid I
thought it they were tall biscuits) includes shrubs, trees, perennials
and annuals.

Got any others you'd like to cite?

neIN, Zone5