From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of A A HODGES
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 9:34 AM
To: gardenchat
Subject: [CHAT] I'm exhausted

and it's only 10:30 in the morning. Was out drinking my coffee on the
porch this morning and two of the dogs started raising a ruckus behind
the house. Saw my Lab, Gracie jump backward and shake her head and
though Oh Sh--, it's a snake. It was, she got it in the nose three
times. Copperhead. I've spent the morning at the vet with her. Raced to
another vet to get antivenom as mine was out due to this being his third
dog/snake bite in less than a week. Fortunately, I had just given her
benadryl for breakfast for allergies. So, he pumped her full of
steroids, more benadryl, antivenom, antibiotics, and fluid. I've got to
take her back this afternoon for another round of fluid. She's resting
in her crate right now.

I'm getting ready to go clean all the crap out from around the back of
the house. Pots, shelving, etc and mow down some of the more prolific
jungle in which they can hide. By the time I got the dogs into the house
and went back out with shovel in hand it had disappeared, of course.
Normally, I don't go after things with a shovel, but I would have killed
it had I been able to find it. I am now probably about $600 poorer, the
antivenom alone was $300. Ouch. Poor Gracie looks like a Labrador

I swear I'm going to move someday. The heat, bugs, expense of living on
the coast, and now the local wildlife are making me crazy.

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC