From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Daryl
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 1:38 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] T.S. DENNIS visits TN

Pam,

Is that a corollary to these two? To a New Yorker, anything that isn't
New York is West. And to a Midwesterner, anything east of Indiana is New
York?
;-)

The sun came out for a little bit today. Mostly it seems to have built
up storms. Fortunately so far they've stayed just west of us but they're
closing in. The good news is that I won't have to water for a while. The
bad news is that the septic drainfield flooded. We've been here 24 years
and that's rarely happened until this year. The good news is that I'm
aware of it. The bad news is that I have a bunch of clothes that I can't
get washed, and I need to, since I'm headed to Wisconsin on Thursday.

The good news is that the dehumidifier we bought yesterday is drying out
the rugs and the walls and ceiling. The bad news is that it raises the
temperature. The good news is that the ceiling didn't cave in. The bad
news is that the ceiling has some ugly black marks that are maybe 3'
long and a foot wide in spots. The good news is that the furnace and the
AC fan in the crawlspace didn't flood. The bad news is that the
crawlspace took on a good bit of water, and is so humid, the AC isn't
helping reduce the humidity in here very much. The good news is that I
only permanently lost a Tithonia and some tree branches - not counting
any drowned plants that just haven't shown it yet. The bad news is that
there's a lot of flopped over stuff/diseased stuff. But it could be so
much worse. We're thankful.

We still haven't heard from our friends in Pensacola - the ones that
lost pretty much everything (including the kitchen sink and countertops)
to Ivan last year. Still keeping fingers crossed. If you know some
prayers, Becca could surely use them. Poor Becca was just starting to
repopulate a few of her beloved garden beds with cuttings and plants
sent from friends. Not only did she lose plants, but soil, and had to
pick out thousands of pieces of glass, wallboard, videotapes. old
clothes, and all manner of other things before she could plant anything
at all.

Kitty, I'll be happy to send rain. After several weeks of dry, we'd just
gotten a new well pump put in (to the tune of over $800) the day before
it started raining. Who knew?