Re: Pams lighening

Here in the Sierra foothills, the local utility hires a private company who spends all their time cutting away branches from power lines. This is not for winter storms so much as the fact that ten years ago a local wild fire was started by a branch coming down on a power line. The fire burned many thousands of acres, including the area where my house now stands. The county sued the utility and won a substantial precedent-setting damage award -- and the utility company apparently got the message.
--Barb, Grass Valley CA
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 4:15 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Pams lighening

Andrea, around here we are told that it is more "cost effective" -
that is cheaper - to repair downed power lines than to prune
away overhaning branches and remove dead trees that are
destined to fall across lines and roads when a blow comes
through - or an early fall ice storm such as we have many

In a message dated 07/14/2005 10:38:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,