Re: Emily & teaching Science, or not

Holy crap!  I'm trying to catch up on email & I didn't realize you  guys were
talking about this subject.
Sadly, my parents are rabid Christians and, as a result, I am a victim of
this.  I was forced to attend religious schools during grades 1-8 and I was
taught that the earth is only 6,000 years old; that the geologic evidence that
the earth is really older all occurred because of the flood (you know, Noah  &
the Ark, rain for 40 days & nights, etc); and the Grand Canyon is a  result of
the flood -- all of that crap.
READY FOR THIS ONE? --- I was taught that evolution was a lie that the  devil
wants us to believe, and that if I was tempted into believing in  evolution,
as opposed to the creation story that the earth was created in 6  days, that I
will burn in hell & not be "saved", hence I would not go  to heaven.  (gasp!)
I can tell you -- I am seriously screwed up as a result.  I can't  believe
the creation theory, yet I am so screwed up that I don't believe  evolution
either.  I am not a scientist by profession so thankfully this  information as to
how the earth came to be is not 'critical' for me to get on  with everyday
life, so I put it out of my head and realize that I'm screwed  up.
My hubby makes fun of me, though, whenever we are watching the Discovery
channel or any similar show that talks about the age of the earth.   When they
talk about gazillions of years ago, he turns to me & says, "Oh,  for you that is
8 weeks ago."  LOL  It makes me laugh.  I  realize I'm ridiculously screwed
in the head about this.  I just have to  laugh about it.
Don't worry David -- I'm NOT offended in the slightest.  I wish people  would
just teach the kids science & not screw them up as badly as I have  been.
Long  Island, NY
Zone 6/7

Honor our dead.  Demand the  truth. _  http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/_
What is the Downing Street Memo?_
http://democracyforamerica.com/memo_movie.php_ (http://democracyforamerica.com/memo_movie.php) _
www.downingstreetmemo.com_ (http://www.downingstreetmemo.com/)

In a message dated 7/12/2005 9:23:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,