From: David Franzman [mailto: dfranzma@pacbell.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:01:52 -0700
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Emily

Hi Zem<br><br>Well their bad science isn't science it's faith. Faith is
an incredibly <br>strong human feeling who's bonds are almost
unbreakable regardless of the <br>facts before them. Hard to knock that
kind of faith. I wish we had it in <br>government and other institutions
after I wrote the 40% remark that I had alienated almost half <br>the

Original Message ----- <br>From: "Zemuly Sanders"
<zsanders@midsouth.rr.com><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent:
Golly, David, I didn't realize you had met the people of this
county!<br>><br>> Personally, I am astounded to think people believe
such bad science. The <br>> terrifying part is so many who believe this

Original Message ----- <br>> From: "David Franzman"
<dfranzma@pacbell.net><br>> To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>> Sent:
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 7:58 PM<br>> Subject: Re: [CHAT]
with my thoughts. One word on what you wrote <br>>> about evolution:
National Geographic had an interesting article on <br>>> evolution and
Darwin's journeys. The author lamented that the title of <br>>> that
breakthrough scientific work was labeled "The Theory of Evolution."
for the <br>>> study of life science. Also, and I think I wrote about
this a few months <br>>> ago, most shocking of all was that more than
40% of the American people <br>>> do not buy the theory. A significant
number believe that the age of the <br>>> earth/universe can be counted
in thousands not billions of

----- Original Message ----- <br>>> From: "james singer"
<islandjim1@verizon.net><br>>> To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>>> Sent:
Tuesday, July 12, 2005 4:52 PM<br>>> Subject: Re: [CHAT]
David, but I think it's <br>>>> both. In the short term, I think it's
the cyclical crap shoot that <br>>>> weather has always seemed to
be--the stuff of the Farmer's Almanac. But <br>>>> I think this is
playing out on top of significant long-term change. A <br>>>> key factor
in What's-His-Name Grey's, the hurricane guru at University <br>>>> of
Colorado, prognostications is El Nino--and the occurrence, recurrence
the earth.<br>>>><br>>>> The scary part is that these effects are
cumulative. The worst of what <br>>>> you see today will be the best you
can hope for tomorrow. It took a <br>>>>

couple of hundred years of reckless fossil-fuel emissions to get us
take that <br>>>> long a period of constrained stewardship to get us
back to a less <br>>>> hazardous environment, or even to one where we
the problem with "theories" is a rhetorical one. Two come to <br>>>>
mind--evolution and global warming. They are theories because they have
people <br>>>> understand that caveat; most intelligent people also
believe the <br>>>> theories are true or very close to true. The only
significant deniers <br>>>> are the Kansas state school board and the
current administration in <br>>>>
David Franzman wrote:<br>>>><br>>>>> So Jim I think you and I agree
about this greenhouse effect thing. <br>>>>>

Everybody expects instant changes and when we have one hot period some
know <br>>>>> it takes more than just one season to prove or disprove a
theory. <br>>>>> However, I wanted to ask you about last year and this
years hurricanes. <br>>>>> We're off to the fastest start since recorded
history. Last year was a <br>>>>> huge year with a friend of mine in
Gainesville being whacked three <br>>>>> times. Weather events are
cyclical but would you consider the current <br>>>>> trend an anomoly or
a direct result of climatic change? Just curious <br>>>>> if your
opinion has been altered over the last year or so.<br>>>>><br>>>>>

----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <br>>>>>
<islandjim1@verizon.net><br>>>>> To: "Garden Chat"
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>>>>> Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 7:19
AM<br>>>>> Subject: [CHAT]