From: Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center [mailto: 4042N15@nationalhearing.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:45:22 -0600
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Thanks

Melody,<br>So very sorry for your little one, but the right thing to do.
I hope you'll<br>be able to remember the happy times you had with Katie
and fill the gap with<br>someone else who really needs your
&quot;Melody &quot; &lt;mhobertm@excite.com&gt;<br>To:
&lt;gardenchat@hort.net&gt;<br>Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 11:10
the wonderful birthday wishes.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Say! I guess we got some
rain here today while I slept...kids said it<br>&gt; poured for a bit.
Can't tell...ground is still rock hard. I haven't been<br>&gt; able to
do much in the garden for a while now...we've had some darned<br>&gt;
hot weather here lately...high 90's with humidity nearing 100%.
Pretty<br>&gt; dangerous weather and it has been unremitting. Has felt
like August<br>&gt; since mid-June. Here where I live the weather guys
say we are down<br>&gt; almost 7

inches of rain so far and we are in an offical drought county<br>&gt; as
of this week. The corn, though tall like it should be, is not<br>&gt;
producing any ears and many farmers around here are cutting their
fields<br>&gt; for silage already...bad news economically for
that the ground is so darned<br>&gt; hard you can't even get a shovel
into it, much less get the weeds pulled<br>&gt; out. But despite that,
my garden seems to be flourishing in some<br>&gt; respects. The roses
seem to have temporarily discontinued blooming, but<br>&gt; that is
okay...everything else seems to be doing well and I have lots of<br>&gt;
color and variety, especially with the coneflowers, daylilies,
phlox,<br>&gt; hibiscus, etc. that are blooming. As compared to many of
the gardens<br>&gt; I've seen, things look pretty good. I haven't done
any watering so far,<br>&gt; which is my usual practice as I like to
encourage drought

tolerance and<br>&gt; deep roots in my plants. However, since it doesn't
look much like we'll<br>&gt; be getting any significant rain any time
soon and we're heading into a<br>&gt; 100 degree weekend, I thought
tomorrow on my first day of my<br>&gt; mini-vacation I would water
everything really well. Of course, now that<br>&gt; I'm going to start
watering, it will mean I am committed to once a<br>&gt;<br>&gt; week
watering for the duration but I think I can handle that.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;
On a sadder note, we had to put our last remaining kitty to sleep
today.<br>&gt; Her name was Katie, she was 8 years old and for the past
2 years she has<br>&gt; had a terrible seizure disorder. Despite her
medication regimen, she<br>&gt; started having seizures again on Monday
and by today she was seizing<br>&gt; almost nonstop. Her seizures had
become so violent that she ripped out 5<br>&gt; of her claws in the past
24 hrs. She had had enough and so had all of<br>&gt; us...it was time.

in advance for the many thoughts and prayers I<br>&gt; am sure all of
you will send...I'll probably not make it back on line<br>&gt; for a few
days since Thursday through Monday promise to be very busy,<br>&gt; but
pay isn't much but the retirement is out of