closeouts

Before going out to Blue River Nursery yesterday, I stopped in at Main's
Flower Garden. This is a local(originally)family that sets up a huge
annual/herb/vegetable nursery in April and closes out by the end of July
to go back to Florida. Over the years she has added a lot of perennials
and exotics. I pick up a lot of these materials early in the year for
our display gardens and she gives us a nice discount. In May I asked her
if, when she closes out, might I be able to get a deal on some
houseplants for our October sale and she said I should come by in late
July. There's no exact date. Luckily, when I stopped in yesterday, it
was the last day and she was offering anything left that you could fit
in a wagon (one layer) for $15. Though the variety was far less than
before, I managed to pack in a lot of goodies we can resell. Then she
also gave us, for free, a dozen small shrimp plants and two 1-gallon
Crossandras. This all totalled about 36 plants from 4inch to 12 inch
hanging basket.

Of course, I have to take care of this stuff until October and I am not
a houseplant person. I just know half will croak if they are in my
house. PLus, I didn't want to spend my time repotting all this right now
when I have other stuff that needs doing. Then a little lightbulb went
off and I decided to add much of this to my own landscape temporarily.
There's no rule says I can't enjoy babysitting. Most went into my sunny
tenders bed and I scattered many of the shade lovers. I still have the
shrimp plants to deal with though.

Kitty