Re: Baptisa

Perhaps it is the amount of space available that is or is not there for the deer, Auralie.
Your property may be more concentrated. I am out in the county at the edge of a small town. We have about 5 acres, bordered by a very large field on one side with a drainage area at the bottom lined with trees and shrubs. Another side is a woods I do not use and town property on another side. Still large woods not far from here and almost connected in places so they can travel. So, perhaps the deer that wander through are not quite so desperate for food and drink.
but hey do come through... I see hoof prints in the garden all the time.
Now we have a new resident groundhog..... under a brush pile at the corner of the property. We put the brush there for small animals, so can't complain.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

Don't know how you do it, Gene.  About the only thing I can now
grow in my exposed perennial bed is bee balm (Monarda), of
which I have three colors blooming right now, and daffodils in the
spring.  The don't eat goldenrod, and I am trying some of the
cultivated ones, monkshood, or the various  Digitalis species
I have.  Really limits what I can grow in the few sunny unprotected
spots left. But Baptisia was one of the first to go.