Re: Linden tree

In a message dated 07/03/2006 5:13:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kmrsy@comcast.net writes:
Any idea which Tilia, Auralie?
Perhaps its bloom time coinceided with a regular annual trip you took and
maybe this year it is earlier or later than usual.

I hsve no idea which Tilia, but I suppose it is the commonest native one.
This tree was here when we moved here 36 years ago.  It is just on the
edge of a rather ratty wooded area between us and the neighbors - really
on a dry, rocky slope.  I believe the reason I had never seen it's bloom
before is twofold.  I think it was a matter of catching the early morning
light - later today it did not look nearly as striking - the blooms were
really cream-colored shading to brown, and didn't show up so sharply.
Also, I don't usually look in that direction that early in the morning.  I
do think that the bloom is heavier this year than usual, as has been
true for most trees and shrubs this spring.
I am glad I finally discovered the blooms.  They are really quite  lovely
in a subtle way - look sorta like a cream-colored Kalmia, but not quite.
I was just so stunned this morning to discover this.  I like to think that
I am more than ordinarily perceptive about the natural world, and to find
something that must have been here for so many years without my
seeing it was a shock to my self-image.  I guess I needed it.