RE: Goodbye Garden

Well, the relationship matters much more than show, when it comes to getting
married.  I had a large wedding (for my day) and thoroughly enjoyed it, but
my DH hated the pomp.  Mind you, I did most of my own "work" with mother
taking care of the reception details.  I made my own dress.  Mother made the
bridesmaid's dresses and we took care of the decorations ourselves.  We
found bouquets for a song and made our own decorations and such.  It was a
lot of work.   At that time, receptions weren't big sit-down meals and the
bride and groom actually opened each gift and made a public acknowledgement
of the gift.  So our biggest expense was cake and ice cream for 300.

You can have a nice wedding without breaking the bank if you have time to do
much of the work yourself.  There are many books out there to help you, too,
as well as some free advice and info on the web.

What I enjoyed in having the "big" wedding was having people I had known my
whole life come to wish me well in my new life adventure.  I got to see and
hug so many people and did my best to let them know that it mattered to me
that they honored Bill and me with their presence.   Daughter Tzeitel had
her wedding in our yard.  Talk about a small budget affair!  Still the
memories are good, the photos beautiful and they had money left for what
they needed.

Having said that, it is up to you and what you want, Sue.   You could still
have a nice wedding and a down payment on a house if you keep costs in mind
and don't go over what you have budgeted.  You could even ask for cash to
add to your down payment for a house as a wedding gift.  Go for your dreams.

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)