Re: Summer garden (long)

If they're after water, and they may be, perhaps you can make a sub?

If not, a California friend swears by Grant's Ant Stakes. I use them and Terro bait traps. They seem to do a pretty good job.

We have Argentine ants, Fire Ants and a bunch of others. :-(

To: "'gardenchat@hort.net'" <gardenchat@HORT.NET>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 6:58 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Summer garden (long)

I almost always have a minor ant problem. They are very small red ants that
bite. Usually I'll find them chewing up the stems on my bean plants - they
can and will chew entirely through the stalk at the base. They infest the
inside of sunflower stems. They will eat through onion bulbs and potatoes,
if I leave them in the ground very long - possibly they're looking for water
in those cases.
I used to use...ummmm...can't remember the name but it was a granular ant
killer safe for vegetable gardens. Most of the ones I looked at said don't
use near food plants. Then it got banned. I tried the boric acid stuff but
the plants near it died - too much borax maybe? Or just coincidence, dunno.
But I guess I need to head for the garden store and read labels again.