Jb magnets

Years ago I kept a yellow rose as my indicator plant that let me know when Japanese beetles began arriving. Eventually I started noticing their other preferences and have removed them. I got rid of Purple Loosestrife for many reasons, but evicting many JBs with them was the real pleasure. Pussy Willows were the next to go. This year it will be the Blue Satin Rose of Sharon; again for more than one reason.

The blue flowers were the attraction for me. I knew I might be taking a chance because JBs loved my double ROS when I had it on the other side of the yard and they devoured the white ROS that was 10 feet from the blue one's placement. I hoped though I could keep an eye on it. However, the other two ROS never, ever gave me a single volunteer plant, but Blue Satin seeds like a maniac everywhere. The other two ROS have been ripped out and now, with the arrival of swarms of JBs on this one, it's gonna be a goner, too. Can't do much at the moment though as a Clematis is using it for support (it's about 7 feet now), but it is coming out this year. ROS, never again.

neIN, Zone 5